Congratulations to all former Year 11 students for getting fantastic exam results. This year we achieved 66% A*-C grades including English and Maths (an improvement on the 64% achieved in 2011). It’s an understatement to say that I am extremely proud of the year group.
I’m sure you will have heard about the discussions surrounding the marking of this years exams which has not only affected English but some other subjects too. Rest assured that we are looking at the grades and where necessary asking for re-marks if students are close to a grade boundary. If this is the case our pass rate could be even higher!
I’d like to thank all parents/carers for their hard work and support over the 5 years and the tutors and staff at Sydenham wish you all the best of luck in the future.
If your daughter is attending SFH6 she will continue to work with Ms Pooley. I will be in school until mid-October when I will be taking my maternity leave. If your daughter is passing by, please ask her to pop in and say ‘hello’ or I can be reached via my school email address for references.
Best wishes, Ms Iyeke
At Iast the day has come to collect those much awaited results…
I look forward to seeing you all on Thursday 23rd August from 10am in the 6th form area to collect GCSE Results. Parents/Carers are welcome but it maybe a little crowded!
Fingers crossed for a successful day
With the Prom just around the corner a few things to think about:
- Doors open from 6.30pm, last entry strictly 8pm. Your daughter will need to show her ticket for entry.
- Soft drinks will cost £2.20 each and include Coke, Diet Coke, Lemonade and J20
- There will be some snacks to nibble on but not a full meal so your daughter may wish to eat first
- Two 6th formers will be running a photographery studio on the night. You can have as many photos as you want taken. Albums will be available in Ms Iyeke’s office to order photos which will be put onto a disk. Photos cost 50p each.Your daughter can also bring her own camera too.
Fingers crossed the weather stays fine for the red carpet entry.
Everyone is still feeling very positive after last weeks Progress File where the girls looked wonderful and the student speeches were particularly inspiring. A copy of the Photo montage is under the ‘Presentations’ page and I’m sure many of you will wish to have a look at the Tutor Group photos once again.
Exams so far have gone well but my letter dated 16.05.12 gives some final ‘things to remember’ when it comes to the examination period. Meanwhile a copy of the Year 11 Revision Timetable for May 2012 is now in the ‘Summer Exams’ section as well as on the school website.
We are all looking forward to the Year 11 Prom where two 6th Formers will be taking photos inside the venue. However, if you wish to capture your daughter’s ‘red carpet’ moment, please feel free to come along and be the paparazzi!
Best wishes, Ms Iyeke
- The majority of Year 11 will be re-taking their Maths exam on Friday 2nd and Monday 5th March. As they are afternoon exams, please make sure your daughter has a good lunch on those days and brings the correct equipment for the exam – this includes 2 black pens.
- Many thanks to everyone who supported the cake sale on the last day of term. We raised a fantastic £270.
- The blog has been updated with letters including the Prom invitations.
- Under the Summer Exams page you will find a copy of the timetable for the GCSE Summer Exams and a list of key dates from March until May this year.
- *NEW* Website links for GCSE History
In the year of the Olympics and Queen’s Jubilee, I know Year 11 will excel
We have received positive feedback from the girls re the English Exam as well as an excellent turnout to the English breakfast this morning. Please congratulate your daughter on the exam today.
In preparation for Parents’ Eve tomorrow your daughter should have received a letter from Ms Fudge, Careers and Enterprise Coordinator – a copy has been placed under the ‘Letters’ page. Ms Fudge will be available to see parents/carers and students tomorrow – no appointment is needed.
Today Year 11 received their current GCSE grades in an envelope just as they will do in August. The team were really pleased with their response as the girls were very mature and although positive, felt that there was room for improvement. We hope this will encourage everyone to work as hard as they can to achieve their best.
Tomorrow is the GCSE English Exam, breakfast will be available from 8am and the exam will start at 9am. Please encourage your daughter to do some final revision but to also get a good nights sleep.
There is a real buzz about 2012 with the Olympics and Queen’s Jubilee – but also because it is our GCSE year. I’m confident that if we continue working together, we’ll get brilliant results this year.
- School begins on Tues 3rd January at 10.50am.
- Year 11 Parents’ Eve is Wed 11th Jan 2012
- For those re-sitting the poetry exam I’d like to recommend CGP Revision Books which are fun, informative and easy to read with lots of tips and revision questions. Look out for GCSE AQA English Unseen Poetry (Study and Exam Practice Book) and GCSE AQA Anthology Poetry Cluster: Relationships (Study Guide). Priced £5.99 and available from bookshops inc Amazon and http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk
Year 11 were brilliant in the end of term assembly – the Headgirl and prefects, Sydenham Dance Company, a Year 11 dance and drama group alongside the Year 11 Fashion Show was a great way to celebrate the end of the year.
On the blog you will find resources for the Poetry exam re-take in Jan, the Eng mock exam papers, info on interviews and applications for post-16 and my end of term letter with further key dates.
N.B. It is essential that your daughter looks into college, sixth form and apprenticeship applications now as after the holiday your daughter’s focus will be on preparing for her GCSE exams.
Best wishes for a relaxing break
We are raising money to go towards the Yr11 Prom and Year Book. Our first fundraiser is a cake sale on Friday 2nd Dec. Please support us by sending your daughter into school with homemade/shop bought cakes.
Also, if you have any gifts or items that are unwanted but in a good condition, please donate them to our raffle. All funds to go to the Year 11 Prom.